2/04/2010

NEW ARRIVAL

















(Day 2)






















(Day 5)

Introducing Zachary Mason
8 pounds
21 inches
Born at 7:50 AM

The C-section went great.  It was a lot faster than I expected.  From cut to baby, it took 10 minutes.  I had a minor freak out before they put in the spinal block.  I was shaking a little, but it was also very cold in the OR.  Hubby was great and was by my side during the "baby" phase of the operation.  The anesthesiologist was also superb and was talking through what was happening on the other side of the screen.  It's quite surreal knowing that just on the other side of a thin piece of paper is your insides being working on.
After the baby was delivered, they worked on my cysts.  At this time, Hubby was taking pics of Zachary while he was getting cleaned and measured and whatnot.  They were able to successfully remove both of them and save both of my ovaries.  One cyst was the size of a grapefruit (on one ovary). The other ovary had two cysts the size of golf balls. (!!!) All were dermoid cysts, which was a relief. They were able to get the test results before they were done putting me back together.  Nice to know that not only were they not cancer, but I have both of my ovaries.  I was told by the OB, that the oncologist did an amazing job and was very meticulous with a steady hand. 
I had moments of nausea during the operation, due to the anesthesia (and my nerves, I'm sure) but the anesthesiologist kept on top of it.  The worst part was at the end when they were putting all my organs back in.  It didn't really hurt but it was just really uncomfortable and I got something extra in my IV for that.  He's like, you need to breathe through it and it was soooo hard, so I got more drugs.  And they worked.
Staying in the hospital the first night was the hardest.  It was just hard to get comfortable and rest.  Zach kept making sounds and the nurses were checking in on me and Zach during the night.  It actually worked out nice since it helped pass the time.  I'm sure a vaginal delivery recovery would be so much different, due to the fact that I could not get out of bed until about midnight.  And then I needed help for everything.  But I was able to walk to the bathroom by myself by morning.  I went home Sunday afternoon.  During my stay, the nurses were awesome. I couldn't thank them enough.
Now that I'm back at home, I'm doing great.  Recovery is going well.  I'm still on pain meds but am able to move around pretty well, considering.  Zach is doing great and is gaining weight at a healthy clip.

But for now, I'll be resting more and doing the Mom thing - which involves lots and lots of feedings, naps, and snuggling.

Also wanted to share that I'm on Facebook a lot more than on this blog, so check out my page (link at the top right) and add me as a friend.  Also, note that you're a blog-reader so that I don't reject you on accident.

7 comments:

deanna said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful!!!! Glad to know you and baby are doing well :)

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Congratulations to you both!!! I'm so glad everything went so well!!!!!

rachel johnson said...

Wow! Amazing. He looks beautiful. Congratulations!

Tina aka Beanie said...

Congrats! He's a big boy! He looks like three months already! I had a spinal tap and just to let you know, it stays in the system for a good while so you may feel more healed then you actually are so do keep it slow while doing things. I almost gave myself a hernia doing more than I was supposed to because I felt so great! Enjoy while he's tiny it goes by quick.

marisol said...

Congratulations... what a cutie!

emigre said...

Zach is gorgeous! Congratulations to you and your husband!

Auburn Kat said...

CONGRATS!!!!! I'm so happy to hear that everything went so well! Sorry I haven't been reading lately, I've been on a bit of a blogging break.