1/06/2010

BABY UPDATE

It's official. I'll be needing a C-section to get this baby out. This is not a surprise, as I was warned this is a good possibility due to baby's breech position.  I swear he's been breech the entire pregnancy, but I can't know for sure. 

Nothing's scheduled yet, but will keep you all posted. I should be hearing from my Dr. today or tomorrow. Gotta coordinate with the Dr that's going to be removing the cysts from my ovaries. You know, the ones that are keeping this boy from turning...to the correct head-down position. I am feeling OK about it.  As I've had a lot of time to think and prepare myself for it.  I have even read up as much as I can about it.

It's not the surgery itself that is scary to me, but the recovery.  There's a bunch of layers that need to be cut through and healing all that takes time.  And thank goodness there's drugs for helping with the pain that are safe to use while breastfeeding.  Yay.  If anyone's had a C-section, I'd love to hear about it.  Send me an email at grownupgirlie{at}hotmail{dot}com or leave a comment if you don't mind sharing with everyone.  I'm interested mostly in how recovery went.

This is not a pity party.  I'm quite at peace with the doctor's decision.  I'll be needing surgery anyway (for the cysts) and this just takes care of that at one time.  There's a lot to be said about only having to go to the hospital once, though Valley Medical's surgical wing is quite nice.

As for baby, he's happy as a clam.  He's in a pike position, tucked with his legs in front of him.  It looks pretty uncomfortable to me, but he's still able to move around - *that* I can feel.  He's getting stronger and still practicing his hiccups.  For the time being, I need to be relaxed and calm so that he doesn't decide before my surgery that he wants to come out.  That, my friends, would not be cool at all!

7 comments:

wyn said...

What a piece of news but I'm so happy that you are accepting of it--you're so wise to not be over-anxious over the situation. Wishing you my best thoughts.

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Things are going to go just fine... and just think, C-Section babies are so pretty!!! :)

Little Fish said...

I was a c-section baby so if you are lucky your son will turn out to be just like me; good-looking, smart, thoughtful, funny...

;-)

Auburn Kat said...

I've known quite a few woman who have had a c-section. I don't know what it is but they seem more common lately for some reason!

Michelle said...

Yes, there are some advantages to C-section babies - esp regarding their heads. They don't get "cone" heads. I think the stat is that 1 in 4 babies will be delivered via c-section in the US. But, they have more fetal monitoring now than they did before. They can tell when it's needed, whereas before the baby would have had problems, and in some cases, die.

marisol said...

Good luck! And please let us know when you schedule it so we can send positive karma your way. Everything will be great!

emigre said...

I've heard from friends who had c-sections that having a changing table at waist-level is very helpful, this way you don't need to bend down every time you change diapers, and it might prevent any future back issues/pain a lot.