1/05/2010

2010 TO DO LIST

So, it's that time of year again - the time to make resolutions.  Last year was decidedly financially focused.  This year, with the baby on the way, or priorities have shifted a little.  We have a little one to think of, and his future, too.  We also want to be healthy, for ourselves and our growing family.

The List:

- Eat more fish and vegetables and fruits.  I get a lot of fish from where I work (a company that operates seafood restaurants), but Hubby doesn't get the benefit of this very often.  I would like to make for fish dishes at home, and make more vegetable side dishes.  I'm not a huge salad person, but I do enjoy vegetables.  I just need to learn how to prepare veggies and fish.

- Make more dishes in the Crock Pot.  This is a tremendous time-saver, which will be in even shorter supply when the baby arrives.

- Save $3000 to open a College Savings account for the baby. This is the minimum to open one at Vanguard.  And this baby is expected to go to college someday.  The earlier start the better!

- Start this baby's 529 plan.  I'm looking at my state's GET program, but am also considering the 529 offered through Vanguard as well (it's actually a Nevada plan, but allows out-of-staters to join).  Washington's GET program is a prepaid tuition plan, whereas the Vanguard 529 plan is more like an investment vehicle.  The beauty of the whole thing, is that you can pick a combination of 529 plans, so we can do both if we wanted to.

- Stay active, once I'm all healed up from baby delivery.  I've been doing my prenatal water class twice a week, and I feel that it's helped me a lot.  I don't have a whole lot of aches and pains as I would have expected at this point (36 weeks).  I've also only gained 20 pounds.  It feels like the baby is gaining it and I'm losing it in other places.  I'd like to continue with the twice-a-week workouts at my regular gym. They even have child care on-site!

6 comments:

Little Fish said...

I volunteer my services to help with fish and veggie recipes. Here is the first fish recipe because it's so easy and delish...

Take an individual portion of salmon (4-6oz). Place it on a piece of foil with a little olive oil. Put some canned tomatoes over it. Add water herbs you like (I'd go with basil). Seal up the foil. Repeat with each piece of salmon- put the foil packets on a sheet in case any juices spill out- put in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Open the packets- the tomatoes will have let off there juices and made a sauce. Serve over rice.

You can do that with other firm fishes as well and you can experiment with other herbs or whatever in the packets too.

Enjoy!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I want to make more crock pot dishes too! Let us know what dishes work for you!

marisol said...

Great list! 2010 is going to be such a great year for you. :)

Jenny Georgio-who said...

I love your list. I also love that I'm not the only person around that hasn't really gained weight during pregnancy. I think I might have gained like 6 pounds up until now and I'm at 27 weeks pregnant!


If you need any recipes, let me know because my hubby and I are huge foodies. We cook lots...and its mainly healthy since we were on weight watchers prior to my getting pregnant!

Auburn Kat said...

This post reminded me that your blog was one of the first blogs that I ever read! The years have been flying by!

Michelle said...

Kat - I've had this blog for 6 years! OMG!