12/02/2009

CREAM CHEESE MASHED POTATOES

In response to Little Fish, more details about cream cheese in mashed potatoes.

It was not my original idea, but something that my brother's wife made at a past Thanksgiving.  She said it's a family recipe, with cream cheese being the secret ingredient.  I think she described it as "artery-clogging", which pretty much means it's not exactly healthy.  But for a special dinner once in a while, why not?

There is no set recipe that I use, as when making mashed potatoes normally, I don't measure.

So here are some instructions:

Cook the potatoes, as per usual
Add desired amount of cream cheese. Mash the potatoes and cream cheese (or use a mixer).
Then add your milk/cream, butter, salt & pepper until desired consistency is reached.
Add garnish to make it pretty, like sliced scallions or bits of chive.

I know, pretty vague.  The cream cheese doesn't add a whole lot of flavor to the potatoes, but it does add a nice silky texture.  For the Thanksgiving potatoes, I had 12 medium russet potatoes and one block of cream cheese.
To change it up, a flavored cream cheese can be used.  To make it lower in fat, use Neufchatel or a low or nonfat cream cheese, or use less.

Originally, I wasn't even going to do the cream cheese thing until Hubby requested it the night before.  But he did end up mashing the potatoes, so I can't get too upset about it.

1 comment:

Little Fish said...

LOL. Thank you, this sounds delish!