11/05/2009

YUP, I'M CRAZY

After much consulting with the families, we have decided to host Thanksgiving at our house this year. You may remember that we also hosted Thanksgiving last year. And you may also remember that I'm pregnant and getting bigger by the day.

Hosting this year, while crazy, was the best way to reconcile conflicts of interest - My parents are hosting Christmas this year, where my Mom will inevitably overdo it and hurt herself (she has tendinitis in both elbows), My Parents-In-Law are doing not-so-good financially and emotionally and they just don't have room for everyone, one of my sis-in-laws lives out of state, and another sis-in-law just had surgery on her wrists for carpal tunnel. My Brother was going to host Turkey Day, but in a rare event his wife got the entire weekend off and paid, and so they're going to see her family for the weekend. Which leaves us, despite being pregnant, in the best situation to do it. What's so nutty about it is that the Monday and Wednesday before are my exercise nights, which really cuts my potential prep time.

This would be my 4th Thanksgiving, so it's not like I don't have a clue. It's actually pretty simple, what can be overwhelming is timing and the number of dishes. Turkey is actually pretty easy to cook!

This year, it's going to be about delegation and buying pre-made. I've thought about it already, but there are a lot of great pre-made options out there...seriously!

What I Will Buy Already Made:
Cranberry Sauce
Pumpkin Pie (Costco's is really good AND cheap)
Apple Pie (Hubs wants to buy from the local Black Diamond Bakery)
Rolls

What I Can Potentially Buy Already Made:
Appetizers
Green Bean Casserole
Salad

What I Absolutely Will Not Buy Already Made:
Turkey
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy (but I will buy back-up gravy)

I'm still debating on the stuffing. Stuffing is really not that difficult to make, as I usually go with the mixes. I tried the homemade, cut the bread into pieces method, and it just wasn't as good.

I could get crazy with the dishes, but I think this is not the year to do it. The traditional basics are pretty much accounted for and people will be fed and happy. (Making some glazed carrots or roasted Brussels Sprouts or Acorn Squash is tugging at me...oh, the conflict!)

And of course, Hubby is definitely helping me out. Mom has a turkey already and it's a hefty 20+ pounder!

No comments: