10/23/2009

SAD

I don't get too political on my blog, but reading this article was really upsetting.

Basically what happened was that a mixed-race couple - a black man and a white woman - were denied a marriage license by a justice of the peace based solely on the fact that they're a mixed-race couple.

Yes, society has changed much, but this thinking is just so out there, it's really hard to believe.

And yes, it's quite comforting to know that this has upset a lot of people, article here.

Some people say that it's the South and that it's pretty common thinking. But here's a person of power pretty much not helping society move towards a more diverse and culturally aware community. His actions are also against the law and I hear that a suit has been filed against him by the couple. I am greatly interested to see the outcome of all this.

A lot of my blog readers know that I am myself of mixed-race. My mom is 100% Korean and came over to the US in the 1970's. My dad is mostly white (mostly English) with a little bit of Native American (Cherokee). My husband is also white (Norwegian and German).

In our relationship, the whole race thing was not much of an issue. My parents did not really mind it, though Mom wished at one time I'd chosen a Korean boy. His parents were always sweet to me, but in the past with his other non-white girlfriends, they were not happy (but never mean.) Hubby said he pretty much had to put his foot down and tell them that he was probably not going to end up with a white girl and they better get used to it. I think some strangers out there might take issue with us being together and - GASP - having children! But no one has said anything directly to our face, and we've been together for over 10 years.

Having said that, we live in a pretty blue state. The Puget Sound region - Seattle, et al - is a place where many races mingle. So it seems to not be as big a deal here as it might be in other places, such as the beforementioned "South". We've never visited down there and I'm not sure if I ever will, with the exception of New Orleans.

This justice of the peace, however, seems to only have a thing about black/white couples as there's no mention of any other races being affected. Even after this whole thing has been made public, he has no remorse, thinks he's not a racist, and is not apologizing or stepping down from office.

One of his most laughable reasons for not granting marriage licenses to mixed-race couples is that "it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long".

Hmmm. Should I be worried about my parents? They've been married for 34 years. Is that long enough?

Society has come a long way in terms of race relations and tolerance, but it's clearly evident that we have a long way to go.

4 comments:

rachel johnson said...

Great post! I agree with you completely and cannot comprehend anyone thinking that they have the right to makes others' relationship choices for them. Diversity is our country's greatest strength (at least in my opinion) and we should encourage it in all forms! :)

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

This IS very sad! I used to live in the South, but was raised in the Midwest. Many people in the South have a VERY different way of thinking... basically, they have not advanced at all. (I'm sorry to all your Southerners! I know it's not ALL of you!) Seriously, it is mindblowing how backwards they still are. I'm so grateful that the rest of the country is not that way!

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Grown up with it my whole life. Doesn't bother me, because I'll still do whatever the heck I want.

Little Fish said...

This was a great post- Thank you.

I heard about this and was equally disgusted! I just blogged about the wedding that I went to last week. It was one of the best weddings I've ever been too and I watched two people who are crazy madly in love get married. He is half white and half Japanese (and yes his parents are still together) and she is Jewish. Who cares?

You're parents and you and your husband and baby to be are living proof that this guy and others like him are nothing more then idiotic hate mongers!