9/10/2009

I WON!

Earlier in the Spring, I won a contest at Cooking in Stilettos, the foodie blog by the fabulous Lys. I had recently received a copy of Ingrid Hoffmann's cookbook, Simply Delicioso. I cannot wait to try something out of it. I'm actually feeling up to cooking these days!

I won by sharing a favorite Spring recipe. And here I'm sharing it with you... There's something about the combination of lemon, creaminess, and berries that says Spring to me. It would also make a great Summer dessert as well.

Lemon & Berry Trifle
Serves 6 – 8

This is a modified version of a recipe by Tyler Florence. However, he made his own
lemon curd and used a lemon pound cake. Mine is a whole lot simpler and just as delicious.
Make it your own by changing the berries to your tastes. When I first tried to make Tyler’s
recipe, I knew I didn’t want to go through the trouble of making lemon curd. So I thought I
would just buy it. Turns out my local grocery store did not carry it at the time. Here’s how I
changed it…

1 package Instant Lemon Pudding mix (small or large box, doesn’t matter)
Milk for Instant Lemon Pudding mix (according to box directions)
Pound cake (make one from mix, from scratch, or buy one)
1 pint blueberries
1 pint strawberries, stemmed and quartered
1 pint raspberries
1 container whipped topping
¼ cup Lemoncello or Grand Marnier liqueur (optional)
Fresh mint leaves for garnish

Prepare the pudding. While it sets, cut up the pound cake into bite-size cubes. Put the berries in
a mixing bowl and toss them together so they are evenly distributed. Fold the whipped cream
into the lemon pudding to lighten it up. Line a glass trifle bowl with pieces of pound cake to fit.
Drizzle or brush the cake with the Lemoncello, spoon a layer of the lemon mixture over the cake,
and then a layer of mixed berries. Repeat the layers until the ingredients are used up. The last
layer looks best if it's the berries. Chill before serving. Garnish with fresh mint.

2 comments:

marisol said...

Congrats!

Paula said...

Congrats on winning the contest- the recipe looks sooo good- I will have to try it! :)