6/10/2009

TAKING A BREAK

I just can't think of anything to write or post as of late. Will return to normal, hopefully soon.

Don't worry, nothing wrong with me.

If you're following me on Facebook, though, you'll know that over the weekend, my older dog, Bandit, hurt herself while jumping off our bed. She had either ruptured or slipped a disc in her back, which is pinching her spinal cord. She cannot control her legs and cannot walk. Her back may or may not have been giving her trouble for a while now, we can't know for sure. She has, however, been getting less active in the past few months. She's 16 years old (we think) and we're surprised she's lasted this long.

We're treating her with Prednisone to [hopefully] reduce the swelling and have her discs slip back to where they should be. Good news is that she does have *some* feeling in her legs, so the spinal cord has not been severed. Also, she is not in any pain. According to the vet, it just feels weird and strange to her.

She's hanging in there, despite her confusion. It's like she doesn't understand why she can't get up. She just looks at us with an expression that says, "Why?". Poor old girl. We did not see this coming at all.

Our dogs are like our children and this whole ordeal has stressed me out so much and is consuming my thoughts. We don't have children, but this must be close to what it's like when a child is sick or injured.

This is going to be my last post for a while. I'll try to keep updating on Twitter and Facebook and you're free to find me on both. Same name as this blog: grownupgirlie.

I'll be back, eventually.

4 comments:

deanna said...

I'm so sorry you're going through this....I'll keep you guys in my thoughts

Tina said...

Sorry to hear about your doggie. I hope she is feeling better soon. Hope to see you back again shortly.

emigre said...

Take all the time you need. Hope everything will turn out ok.

Yvett said...

I'll be looking out for your posts.


I hope your doggie feels better soon. I know how you must feel. It's sometimes even worse with the furry sorts of babies because they can't tell you what they're feeling. Hang in there.