6/25/2009

STILL HERE

Thanks for all the well wishes regarding Bandit.

If you haven't been following me on FB or Twitter, I will update you on what has transpired.

After a long week of treating Bandit, it was evident that she was not improving. She seemed to be getting more frustrated and even angry at her lack of movement. At these times, you wish dogs could talk and tell you exactly what they want. But they can't, and we didn't know that she actually did not have any control of her bladder or bowels. She would go pee, but only because we were applying pressure to her bladder with the sling we were using to help her walk. It was a lucky coincidence, as she probably would have suffered even more.

It was a difficult decision, but we felt it was the right decision, to put her down and end her suffering. If she were a young, spry dog, we might have more options. But she was quite elderly, and had lived a good old life. In the past couple of months, she has been less and less active and spent most of her days sleeping and laying around. Taking her on walks, she would often times lose her step and fall mid-stride. It is quite possible that she had back problems for quite some time, but she never vocalized any pain or discomfort. We cannot say for sure.

I wasn't there at her passing, but was assured that it would be quick and painless. She was a good dog and we miss her a lot. Even Kenai has noticed her absence, though her days as his playmate were over long ago. The humans are doing ok now. It has been a couple of weeks and we are getting closer to peace. I miss her most though in the morning when she would be curled up in bed next to me.

Life goes on... and does it. There's more drama, but you'll have to wait a little bit longer. Hang in there, I'll have more pleasant stuff to blog about soon. But for the time being, my plate that was previously full, has gotten even more so. Such is life.

4 comments:

Yvett said...

My condolences, Michelle. It know it's hard, but I think you did the right thing. I'll be looking out for your posts. Take care!

marisol said...

I am so sorry Michelle. Hang in there.

Lys said...

What a tough decision to make but totally understandable. Poor Bandit and my thoughts are with you and your family.

Auburn Kat said...

I'm so sorry. What a tough decision and one that I hopefully will never have to make!