5/06/2009

HAIR TODAY, GONE EVENTUALLY

After thinking about it for years, having a semi-serious discussion with Hubby, finding out it's available near my home, I've taken the plunge.

I went to my local spa, Elle Clinical Spa, for a consultation for laser hair removal.

While I would just love to be defuzzed from the neck down, the cost would be too prohibitive. However, one area is the bane of me (and probably of most women) and that is the underarm area.

Why do we grow hair there? Is there a purpose? Is this a joke that Mother Nature is playing on us? NOT FUNNY!

Anyway...

At my last facial, I was told that the spa will soon be offering the laser hair removal. I wanted to know more. This particular spa does medical grade stuff, so I wasn't worried about it being unprofessional or anything like that. I had full faith in their employees, which is needed when you start talking about lasers.

So I scheduled an appointment for a consultation. I was given a ballpark figure as to the pricing, and I discussed with Hubby and he pretty much said, "Go for it!" I'm on their email list and they had recently sent out a discount coupon because the service is new to the spa and they wanted to get the word out.

At the consultation, I met with one of the owners of the salon and they went over all the information and answered all my questions. It takes at least 5 sessions to completely rid an area of hair. Because the sessions needs to be done at a certain phase of hair growth, they need to be done repeatedly and spaced apart. Usually 20% of the hair follicles are killed with each session. The particular laser they use, Lightsheer, works on all hair colors, it works really well on darker hair (like mine). So I'm hoping for mass destruction of hair follicles early on.

I wasn't expecting it, but they were able to do a treatment right away. After filling out a bunch of paperwork, I got it done. And I have to say, it's not as scary or painful as you might think. They say it feels like a rubber band snap on your skin. I guess that is apt, except the "rubber band" is teeny tiny. In some places, I didn't feel it at all. Compared to having my tattoo done, this was cake. I would say it's close to pain free, since for me, I didn't really feel much. And it took less than 5 minutes per side. She said my skin was reacting well, meaning it wasn't reacting much - Which is good, because the energy of the laser is supposed to be absorbed by the hair and not the skin. Afterward it felt fine, and just a touch sensitive. This morning, it feels a little sensitive but I only notice it if my bra rubs against the area. (They laser the entire region, not just the hairy part.)

What you might want to know about laser hair removal:
It is to be treated like a sunburn. Think aloe gel, no harsh chemicals, no Vaseline or Aquaphor as they are barriers and will hold in heat. I didn't have much of a reaction so I didn't do anything special.

Can you still shave in between sessions? Yes. It is required before a session as well, as it aids the treatment and improve success rate. You cannot, however, use any other hair removal methods like tweezing, waxing, or depilatories.

Can you use antiperspirant/deodorant after treatment? Yes, as long as it doesn't bother you.

Can you tan during treatment/between sessions? No.

How big is the laser area? The device they used had a small square that appeared to be 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch square.

The Cost? They sell in packages of 5 for $600. With my coupon, I paid $510. Bikini line (area outside of underwear only) is $750 (I think). A full on Brazilian (every bit of hair down there) is either $1200 or $1500, less if you leave a landing strip. Not sure about legs, as I didn't ask.

Before and after? There are no before photos. We'll see about after when it's all completed.

Any other questions you want answered? I'll do my best based on my own experience. I only had one session, so can only answer from this perspective.

While I'd love to have my bikini area done (and Hubby would love it too), it's not exactly in the budget. Maybe someday. And then I'd get my legs done, too. But I told Hubby that he'd have to get his snoring fixed first (and insurance would probably help with that).

3 comments:

Little Fish said...

I'm so jealous!

Amber said...

I so want to do this!! I can't wait to hear more about it!

Paula said...

I keep telling Mr. Spanish when we are rich I have to have this done- lol! You'll have to keep us updated on if it really works well :)