3/04/2009

SMALL STEPS

We finally got a Wii Fit!

I've been wanting one for a very long time. Hubby tried to find one to buy me for Christmas, but to no avail.

Then one day I was updating my Amazon Wish List and saw that the Wii Fit was finally in stock. AND I had some credit on my account. So I ordered it right away.

They had mentioned that the Wii Fit serves a cold dose of reality - in that it tells you pretty much how bad of shape you're in. Ouch! So it turns your Mii into a fat Mii. But it's actually a little funny because it puts all the extra weight in the middle - your legs and arms are still sticks.

But it does get you thinking. Or at least, it got me thinking. Thinking about what I can do in my everyday life to be more active. One of them is easy. I can walk from my work to the train station. It takes about 25 minutes and is mostly flat. I did this walk pretty regularly during the Summer. I should be doing this on the non-rainy days but I don't. One big reason is because I just don't have the right footwear. Yes, my work shoes are pretty comfortable but I wouldn't want to walk the distance in them.

So now I'm obsessed with these MBT shoes:





























There are several styles of MBT shoes, but these appear to be the least offensive. The sandals are quite stylin' but wouldn't work for my purposes. Ideally, I would wear these shoes for walking and change into work shoes (a la My Mom, during her working career). Even though they're ugly, I hear they're super comfy and great for the legs.

Another hurdle in my walking routine is my bag. My Dooney bag that I love love love. It, however, is huge and heavy. And I cannot carry my shoes in them. So, I'm thinking of getting a backpack as well. But it has to look good. This might be a little more difficult, as I'd like something that is functional but also still dressy. I don't even know if this exists, but I suppose I hadn't really looked.

As for the Wii Fit, I love it. It's a lot of fun and I can feel muscles being worked. My upper body is weaker than I thought. My calves are feeling really sore. Much work needs to be done, but at least I'm doing something.

P.S. Love the step aerobics! And the Rhythm Boxing!

3 comments:

domesticity said...

I got a Wii Fit for my birthday last year... unfortunately it was right around the time that the morning/all-day sickness really kicked in, so I haven't been able to enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I laugh whenever I get on the board and it says "oohhh...," like I am hurting it with my pregnancy weight! But I console myself with the fact that as least it hasn't said "ouch!" when I step on!

Amber said...

Yes... WiiFIt is a reality check, but remember, it's super harsh. Be prepared for it to tell you you're overweight, which you look far from!
It's super fun though and gets you motivated. Can't wait to hear what you think!!

Yvett said...

I agree, it's harsh when you first hear it. Ouch. I keep trying to get the same message as Alec . . . underweight.