3/06/2009

A GIFT FOR MYSELF

Some of you may know that my birthday is coming up. It's one of those "Big Ones" as I'll be turning 30.

I'm really OK with it, as I've heard other friends having a hard time with this particular age. I guess, looking back, I would think of myself in a certain place by this age. And pretty much, I'm there. I'm not as fabulous or skinny as I'd envision, but I think I'm doing just fine.

One of the best parts about having a birthday, however, is all these special offers that retailers like to give you. I suppose they want to help you pick something out for yourself.

While the free lip glosses at Sephora are very tempting, I'm going to do something that I've always wanted to do. I want to get a membership at the Seattle Art Museum.

I love going to the art museum as they have some really fabulous exhibitions. Hubby's not a big fan and it's hard to get him to go sometimes, unless they have something really cool. I work really close to the museum, so I can always visit after work (now that the train runs a little bit later in the evenings).

The memberships themselves include unlimited free admission. Admission usually costs $20. Because I am a UW Alumni member, I get a discount on the membership. I pretty much have to go twice in a year to recoup the cost of the membership.

I'm going to do this soon as a little treat for myself, and it's something that will last me the whole year.

5 comments:

Little Fish said...

So fun! Happy almost birthday!

wyn said...

I know it's almost your birthday because it's almost my birthday!

I think getting a SAM membership is a great idea - like you've calculated you will recoop so quickly. Doesn't it also give you (discounted) access to the Asian Art Museum? As a not-so-often visitor to Seattle, I tend to refrain from visiting SAM and SAAM (?) but drool at the exhibits that sound so good!

Michelle said...

Thanks!

and

Yes, it includes the Asian Art Museum as well. I haven't been there, but would love to. And I will be able to for free. yay!

Auburn Kat said...

Happy early bday! This year will be my 30th bday as well...

Yvett said...

That's a nice gift to yourself. Each year I say I'm going to remember to take retailers up on the birthday goodies and each year, I forget.

I had a super hard time with 30. No party, I didn't even want anyone to mention it. I'm glad you're not one of those people.