1/01/2009

NEW ME 2009


Well, not exactly, but the title's catchy, no?

As I have pretty much already recapped how I did on the 2008 Resolutions, I don't need to do that now. But it's a good start. I will have to say again that I'm glad I did the Brussels Sprout resolution, I'm still eating the batch that I made and they are delish!!!

So, for 2009, I resolve to:

#1 Pay Off The Truck: I know, this one is going to be easy-peasy. And while I did say that we were going to take the settlement from my old car to make this payment, with Hubby missing so many days of work, it put a huge dent in our budget. He gets no holiday or sick pay (basically, no work = no pay). And we're going on a long vacation in January (WooT!!! And it's PAID FOR!!) So, big dent is going to get bigger. The settlement went towards our credit card, which we used to make the down payment on my new car. And with the balance, it's pretty much two months of two car payments, maybe less since we anticipate one more month of rent from our roomie. UPDATE: DONE!

#2 Max the IRA: This is a yearly resolution. The limit for 2009 is $5000 again. I did this last year and I can do it again. I contribute $350 per month automatically, which is $4200. The other $800 comes from tax refund or yearly bonus (though not expecting one this year, 2008 was brutal for my company). Hubby's pretty lax about funding his IRA as he puts massive amounts in his 401K instead. But, I'd like to increase his contribution while the stock market is on sale. UPDATE: DONE! (Or at least, with the automatic monthly investments, this will be done by the end of 2009)

#3 Continue to build up Emergency Fund: We have two of them. Joint Emergency Fund and My Emergency Fund. Hubby has a vacation fund through his union, so that's his E-Fund. Goals: Joint - $10,000, Mine - $3,000 (UPDATE: Mine is DONE!)

#4 Pay down our Home Equity Loan: This is the most annoying debt. I've talked about it before. Not only is it large but it's a variable rate. Granted, the interest is tax-deductible which helps a little. UPDATE: DONE! Sort of, this was rolled into our Home Mortgage Refinance.

(#3 & #4 will be done in tandem. This will hinder the speediness in which they are completed, but to make progress on both will be the goal.)

#5 Get Active: I know this is vague, but it's by design. I've been very lazy as of late and it's not acceptible. I'm finding new stretch marks and am not happy about it. I need to move more. And eat less fried stuff. Even though I love fried stuff. I have a gym membership and need to actually use it. When the weather improves, I would like to do more hikes. I live in a beautiful area and there are many places to wander. UPDATE: Working on it! We've been going to the gym and taking the dogs for walks.

So there they are. Mostly financial as it's probably the biggest thing on my mind right now (I am not alone). But I also want to improve my health as well.

Cheers to all of you this New Year.

4 comments:

Lys said...

Sounds like some great goals for 2009! Good luck - you can do it!

Auburn Kat said...

I also need to be more active....

Best of luck!! Happy New year!

Little Fish said...

Happy new year!!

marisol said...

Great resolutions! I also plan on increasing my contributions to the 401k once I am eligible to.