12/22/2008

SO NOW I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE OIL LEAK...

This post could also be titled: "Budget - Derailed"

I had mentioned my crazy week in a previous post, and now I'm ready to talk.

Last week, on Monday, I was involved in a car accident. By saying that, it sounds bigger than it really was. I was rear ended while waiting at a light, so cause for blame was not an issue.

Some of you know, I drive a 2002 Toyota Carolla. It's my first new car I've ever bought.

I was hit by a 1988 full-size Chevy truck with a contractor's rack in the bed.

Needless to say, my car was crunched. Because I'm still in the process of settlement, at this time I will only discuss my car. (I didn't have to go to the hospital, so don't worry about me!)

This is the first time I've been in a major car accident. Meaning, I was driving and the cops were called. I didn't see it coming and it scared the shit out of me. I was a shaking mess for the rest of the evening.

What turned out to be a routine trip to Trader Joe's turned for the worse. But I digress...

Getting back to the titles of the post. The other driver's insurance company was right on top of it. They sent an inspector to take a look at my car and determined that it was a total loss. This pretty much means that while it could be fixed, it would cost more to do it than the car is worth. So, we're put in this situation where we need to buy me a car. This was not in our current budget as we were planning on buying me a new car in a couple of years. Yes, I got a little bit of money for my totaled car, but I am not going to buy that same exact car. (Though looking at the used car listings, I found a car that was almost exactly the same at a lot by my house. Same color even.) The budget is now out the window, but I don't have to worry about my Corolla's oil leak (which started after its last oil change, so I suspect it would have been an easy fix after its oil got changed again. And yes, I took it back to the place to have them look at it...twice and they couldn't figure it out. Not going back!)

Let the car shopping begin! My dream car is a Mercedes SLK. And Hubby was like, "Let's go look at your Mercedes!". I've been rethinking my whole "dream car" even before the accident. I've come to the realization that a Mercedes is not an appropriate car for me at this time in my life. We're thinking of having a family someday and a two-door convertible just doesn't fit. Even though my Corolla got totalled, I have faith in the brand. It did protect me and impressed Hubby in the process. But I didn't want to get another Corolla. So it was between the Camry and the Lexus ES. They're essentially the same car (same company) with the Lexus being more luxurious. But in the end, money made the decision. But I can't be too upset...

So for Christmas this year, I got a new car... The Toyota Camry XLE. It's charcoal grey and it has heated leather seats and spoiler. It's completely loaded and I LOVE IT!!! Also, I love it because I don't have to buy a new stereo system or alarm, because it has it already! It even has an auxillary jack so I can plug in my iPod!!! I did have to buy the cable and ended up getting this great accessory pack from Griffin, which has everything I need.

Unfortunately, because of the crap weather, I haven't been able to drive it all that much. Or take a picture of it. I even forgot to take a pic of my totalled car. It's quite the sight. Oh well... In time.

For the budget, this just pretty much screws things up. It could be worse though. I got money for my totaled car and Hubby came up with a brilliant idea on what to do with it. As I mentioned earlier, we have refocused our efforts on paying off the truck. As of today, the balance on the truck loan is $1116.26. Not bad, eh? So, we're going to pay off the truck loan and the rest is the down payment on the new car. They let us charge the down payment on our credit card, so the rest is going to make a payment on the credit card. (Airline miles, baby!) We didn't have to touch any of our savings, but instead of getting rid of our monthly truck payment, we've replaced it with a new, higher one. At least it's at 1.9% APR (4 years).

The dogs are not happy about it, though, as they are not allowed in the car anymore. But I am one happy girl!

4 comments:

Paula said...

Oh no! car accidents are the worse! Rest up and congrats on the new car!!! :)

deanna said...

Sorry about the accident. I had a similar one in high school where nothing happened to me but totaled the car. The Camry sounds awesome though! My friend has an iPod jack in her car and it is so fun! Glad everything is OK!

Fabulously Broke said...

Woo hoo for new car!

Auburn Kat said...

It's good to hear that you weren't hurt in the accident! On the other hand getting a new car is fun!