10/08/2008

SALT + CARAMEL


I am excited even more by Starbucks new hot cocoas, but mostly because they have one that is a Salted Caramel Cocoa. I think I know where they got the idea. A local chocolatier, Fran's Chocolates, has long been making salted caramels. They go as far as to use gray salt and smoked salt. Ooh fancy!

Salt and chocolate do not sound like they go together. But think about the function of salt. It's a flavor enhancer. It makes food taste more like itself. And when added to chocolate, it makes it more chocolate-y. (Frango fans love that kiss of salt in the original mint Frangos - and I'm referring to the Seattle version, DUH). In liquid form, however, I wonder how it will taste.

This requires further exploration.

4 comments:

Fabulously Broke said...

Am trying that the next time I'm near a Starbucks. That sounds tasty.

I like saltwater taffy too. And I've considered salting vanilla ice cream with fleur de sel to try it out

Lys said...

I am dying to try this... probably will this week at some point. I love salted caramels..

Auburn Kat said...

OH MY! Enough said!

marisol said...

Ok you have convinced me to try this drink. Ordering it tomorrow!