10/23/2008

BUDGET CHRISTMAS

On a recent shopping trip at Costco, I spied Christmas decorations. On full display were decorated trees, lights, ornaments, etc.

Is it that time of year already?

Actually, it isn't. But in 'retail time', it certainly is. Not that it's a bad thing to start thinking about the Holidays already, as it gives one more time to plan.

This year is quite different, however. It seems that everyone is reluctant to spend, us included. While I tend to go a little overboard when it comes to gift giving, much to the chagrin of Hubby, this is the year we (I) will rein it in.

This year, we plan to save not only money, but also time. I tend to think of myself as a frugal shopper, but if I have a gift idea in mind, I get to the point where I just need to get it so that it's something I can cross off the list. We're going to save money because we are literally going to spend less and give everyone practically the same thing (which will save me time).

While that can be a little impersonal, it's very much practical. In addition, I'll probably be giving away something from the kitchen. I'm thinking breads this year. I have a stand mixer and the hook attachment has never seen use, so it's a good time to start, no?

As for decorations and such, I have amassed a collection that I'm proud of. I purchased a lovely ornament ball wreath after last Christmas, and am very excited to finally put it up. I might even get rid of some decorations. (My mom always insists on giving us Christmas decorations as Christmas gifts. Why?)

Anyone else planning on cutting back on the Holidays this year?

3 comments:

Auburn Kat said...

I already tend to be rather frugal when it comes to Christmas, so this year won't be any different. I always make a budget and stick to it. It definitely can be easy to go over bored when it comes to spending money on people for Christmas though!

I'm not sure what I'm going to make for my friends, maybe I will make some fudge with my grandmother...she makes the best!

marisol said...

My family and I are traveling to Mexico for the holidays. After paying $1,100 for each of our tickets, we decided that the trip would be our gift. I probably won't decorate my place since I won't be around.

Fabulously Broke said...

I normally just do a dinner with BF

Our family isn't into xmas gifts. Just food.