9/16/2008

INTEREST RE-IGNITED





















"Lust for Life" has been a book that has been on my "to-read" list for quite some time. I borrowed it from the library, and it's quite long. Undaunted, I started it and am fully into the book now.

My interest in Van Gogh actually started during my first year of college in a class that I ended up not needing to take - Writing in the Humanities. I didn't need to take it because for my business program, I needed a writing class but they didn't like that the writing class I took was not very business related. But, I'm glad I took it because it was very interesting and the professor was really good.

We had a final paper that had to be about anything in the arts. I didn't really know much about it, but for some reason I saw Van Gogh's "Starry Night" and decided I was going to do a paper on it. Little did I know that there was a huge volume of knowledge about the painting and Van Gogh. I was enamored by his letters to Theo and I had a great time looking through all his paintings. But amongst all of the them, Starry Night is my favorite Van Gogh piece.

So, I'm reading my book. And I also saw the "Inspiring Impressionism" exhibit at Seattle Art Museum. It's really coincidence that I am doing both at the same time, because at Van Gogh's time, Impressionism was starting to become accepted in the art community. And Van Gogh rubbed shoulders with many of the important artists of the day, like Seurat, Gauguin, and Cezanne. Very interesting juxtaposition. Also, in the book there are many mentions of works of art, not only Van Gogh's. This has sparked my curiosity to see the other paintings as well.

I feel sorta like a student again, except there's no homework involved. And I'm OK with that.

Further study: Van Gogh Gallery

Oh, and that remings me of another thing to add to my life list - See Starry Night in person. It's currently travelling and will be at MOMA shortly, where it is usually kept. Hopefully the exhibition - Van Gogh and the Colors of the Night - will come to Seattle (crossing fingers). In a previous Van Gogh exhibition at SAM, I saw my other favorite Cafe de Nuit in person.

2 comments:

deanna said...

I'll have to check that book out! I took Art History of Impressionism in college and miss learning about all that stuff!

Auburn Kat said...

I love Van Gogh!