8/26/2008

BRIDAL SHOWER STUFF

The bridal shower was a success! I ended up not making a punch due to all the other work I had to do. I ended up buying some Italian-style sodas for my guests to drink.

As for the food, I went towards a Southwestern theme as most people love it. One hit of the party was this black bean salad.

Guy Fieri's Black Bean Salad Recipe via Food Network

Served with tortilla chips, it can also double as a salsa of sorts. I omitted the jalapeno called for in the recipe because the bride can't handle too much heat. But I did add a couple splashes of hot sauce instead so that it'd have a little bit of spice. And I also substituted white wine vinegar for the sherry vinegar, because I didn't have sherry vinegar and didn't want to buy it. Also served were a selection of salsas, guacamole, and chicken quesadillas.

I also did my first fondue in the set that I got for Christmas. And for this, I did a chocolate fondue using Tyler Florence's recipe. Alongside, I served bananas, pound cake, and strawberries. I made a large batch of this, so I have a bit of chocolate fondue left. Oh darn!

Not everything was Southwestern, however. I did have hummus & pita chips as well as vegetable dip made from Knorr's vegetable mix. I have a hard time finding the mix, but I found it at a store I don't normally shop at, so yay!

And now for my easy recipe. In the slow cooker, I had my BBQ Meatballs. They're a hit every time I make them and it's a really easy thing to make.

Party BBQ Meatballs

1 cup bottled BBQ Sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's)
1/4 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Apricot preserves
1/4 cup Water
Desired amount Frozen Meatballs (I use Costco's Italian Meatballs and fill the pot about 2/3rd)

Mix first four ingredients in Crock Pot until combined. Then stir in meatballs to coat. Add more of the sauce ingredients if needed to coat all the meatballs or if you really like a saucy meatball. Cook on low for 3 - 4 hours. OK to check progress and stir a couple times, but don't do it too much or else it will take longer to cook.

Serve as is as a party appetizer. But I like to make it into a meal by serving on a bed of rice along side a salad or cooked vegetables.

Now, I'm looking forward to a weekend where I can relax. Imagine that.

2 comments:

Yvett said...

Ooohhhh! Thanks! I'm going to try those recipes.

Glad the shower was a success!

Lys said...

Those meatballs are a must try! I'm not too much of a fan of the black beans but I might give that recipe a whirl.

BTW - made the chicken soup AGAIN last night. That recipe is such a fabulous one. And you can modify it like crazy and it always comes out good.