8/07/2008

DIET COKE CAKE - NO JOKE!

When I first heard about this, I though it was a joke.

But my friend was serious. He thought it was a joke too, but he looked on the internet and found it was true. (go ahead...Google it...)

Here's the recipe:
1 package chocolate cake mix
1 can Diet Coke (or Pepsi, if you prefer)

Mix the ingredients and cook according to package directions.

He claims it was the best cake ever. Ok...

So, our new roomie was commenting the other day that I had boxes of cake mix. I had totally forgot that I had them, seeing as I don't bake all that often. So, after having baked dinner in the oven, I had used the heat to whip up this cake.

I dished it out plain with only canned whipped cream.

Reactions were mixed. I thought it was pretty good...considering. Hubby and Roomie were unimpressed. The cake had a really fluffy consistency, kinda like eating air.

So the next day, I bought two kinds of frosting - cream cheese and dark chocolate. With frosting and having let the cake cool completely, it was deemed better.

It still isn't diet cake, that's for sure since the mix still has some offending ingredients (like sugar). But it does eliminate some fat and cholesterol because you don't add the egg or oil.

Given a choice, I probably won't make this again. But it's worthy to share, since this is just the tip of the iceberg. You can change the cake mix/soda combinations. But I won't go there.

2 comments:

Yvett said...

How odd, yet I'm curious . . . . .

Auburn Kat said...

Hmm...that actually sounds kind of good..