4/08/2008

BLENDED BLISS


Lately, I've been craving smoothies. And while going to the nearest Jamba Juice would work, it wouldn't work so well for the wallet. At $4 a pop, they add up. So, I figure I'll get the blender going to make it myself.

The hardest thing, though, is choosing the right ingredients. I've been craving all fruit smoothies for some reason. I don't know why, but something about the milk is unappetizing right now.

Yesterday, I went to the grocery store and picked up some fruit to start with. Fresh strawberries are looking really good....finally. Canned pineapple (I know, fresh could be better, but it's so expensive in comparison). Bananas. Frozen blueberries. Orange juice for the liquid. Really surprising though, is the selection of frozen fruit these days. Not just strawberries, but they have frozen mango, pineapple, peaches, and raspberries as well. But I didn't want to go overboard quite yet.

Also, I put some smoothie recipe books on hold at the library for inspiration:
The Smoothies Bible
Jamba Juice Power
More Smoothies for Life (For some reason, the library didn't have the earlier title, Smoothies for Life)
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Smoothies

With all these things, I'm pretty sure I'll get my smoothie fix.

3 comments:

wyn said...

I thought you were posting about today's free event. Fifteen more minutes!

http://www.bloglander.com/cheapeats/2008/04/07/free-jamba-juice/

Michelle said...

I didn't know about that at all! What a coincidence. But, it wouldn't have mattered if I had known. I'm scrambled for time in the morning as it is...

jae said...

I've been thinking about smoothies as well these days, maybe it's because I want spring to FINALLY come and stay or maybe I need more fruit in my diet. Either way a smoothie would do the trick. I also have a ton of fiber samples I need to use up, this would be a great way to use them. Tell us how yours turn out! ~j