3/19/2008

WINDFALL OF BEEF

Through a co-worker of Hubby's, he was able to purchase a beef tenderloin at a fire sale price of $50. Apparently, said co-worker's wife works for a distributor who sells to the cruise lines, and is able to buy super cheap on occasion. Hubby conferred with other co-workers and heard the product is top notch. So, the opportunity finally came. The tenderloin was in one of those cryo-vac'd packages and it was well over 10 pounds.

After dividing it, I ended up with 3 small roasts, 4 filet mignon steaks, and a little extra which will make for great fajitas. The steaks were cooked right away. The rest went in the freezer for later.

I'm planning on making one of the roasts for Easter dinner, using this recipe from Real Simple. For sides - roasted asparagus, scalloped potatoes, green salad. For dessert, I'm still deciding whether to make one or to buy one. I'm not even sure what I'd like to make, though something lemony sounds very Easter to me.

The great thing about beef tenderloin, though, is that it's really easy to prepare. There are lots of recipes, so I'm not too worried about finding ways to prepare it. Pity the time, however, that we tire of it.

1 comment:

kissntellu said...

Lemony and Easter? I think I will make lemon squares if people have an Easter potluck then! Hope there is an Easter potluck.....