3/12/2008

SECOND CHANCE

In high school, I started to read Stones from the River, by Ursula Hegi. At the time, it was an Oprah Book Club selection. It appealed to me because the story was set in Germany. And me being a student of German and having traveled there, I thought I would give it a try. But I had abandoned it.

Reflecting upon it, I'm not really sure why. It could have been the daunting length (500+ pages) or slow progress of the book. Or, I could have just been too busy. But, it most likely was because the story did not grab me right away. Oprah even warned that it started slowly but is worth it.

Now that I'm a little older and a little wiser, I'm giving it a try again. I have the time and the energy to devote to the book. Some of the parts I've re-read are a little familiar, but I wouldn't have remembered then had I not reread them.

And perhaps after this book, I'll finish another abandoned book that I started in the Summer 98, between freshman and sophomore year of college. I do know, however, why I abandoned that one - it was when I first started dating Hubby. It was a great book though, and I'd really like to know how it ended. I just couldn't devote the time and I had to return it back to the library. I think I'll put a hold on it right now, that I'm thinking about it.

No comments: