4/02/2007

SPRING CLEANING

It's been almost 6 years since I graduated from college. Yet, I still have boxes and a file cabinet drawer FULL of college papers, projects, tests, notes, etc. Why do I have it? I ask that myself now that I remember I still have it. It's yet another pile of stuff that I haven't gone through to weed. But, they're not just completed projects, they're memories. Does anyone care now, however, that we did a fake audit of Starbucks, or did a marketing profile on a little company called Xypoint (which turns out, got bought by a larger company)? I doubt it. I put a lot of work into college. Perhaps not as much if I were not working or not in a serious relationship, but I did the best I could considering the circumstances. (I didn't graduate cum laude, but I came pretty close. Right now, however, I see that unless I expect to be some corporate big shot, it really doesn't matter. It's more about the people you know and talking a good game. Really.)

Anyone out there with tons of school day stuff? I don't know what to do with it. I'm thinking of taking the stuff out of the file cabinet and put them in boxes. But other than that, I'm not sure if I can part with them. I'd like to someday think I'll have to go through them for one reason or another. The same reason I still have a lot of my texts, though my Intermediate Accounting text has a firm place in my work office. And I could throw away my GAAP Guide, it's woefully out of date. Along with my tax book...

How easily it is to accumulate, how difficult it is to let go.

Ideas? Anyone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are unpacking after a cross-country move. Before we left I made a concerted effort to ruthlessly get rid of everything I didn't want to haul to a new location. I couldn't believe how much stuff we had accumulated in five years. Just unload the school stuff. You can find updated information readily enough.

MerrieB said...

I kept some of it, but most of it I just dumped. After, oh, 10 years of being out of school! The hardest thing was tossing all my thesis materials. I'd kept them because I thought I might one day go for a Ph.D., but it's just not in me. I finally tossed 2 years worth of copies and research and notes. It hurt, but I do enjoy having the space now. It's partly letting go of a dream, but I know I have new ones now. My priorities have changed.

NY KAT said...

I have ALL of my school stuff! My solution was to take it home to the house I grew up in and store it there!

Yvett said...

I took some of my stuff to my old desk at my mom's house. I think they got rid of it, though.
I threw away Rodrigo's papers. When we moved to Arizona, we HAD to. We just had sooooo much stuff.