3/15/2007

FOCUS ON THE HOME

Is it because the cards are paid off? (well, sorta, we did renew our UW football season tix and bought Hubby a snowboard with the card - but we have the money to pay it off when due. so there...). Is it because I don't want to shop for much. Is it because I finally have a real dining room table to adorn? Perhaps all three. But I think it's mostly because my Sis-in-law is moving out. And taking a lot of stuff with her. Namely, here kick-ass blender and cookware (not as kick-ass, but handy). After being used to having these things at my disposal, I know I will miss them when they're gone. (And her, too. Though, she is not going very far away. Moving in w/ her boyfriend.)

So far, I have replaced her pans with this Cuisinart Everyday Pan. I've been looking at one of these for quite a while. Now I have been pushed to get it. (I'll also be throwing out old IKEA nonstick pan. No longer nonstick, and cheap to begin with. Though, was good while it lasted.) It should be arriving any day now. I'm also eyeing this Calphalon frying pan. It was on sale last week, but when I went to buy, the price went up. I think I can wait on this, however. I'll have to see how well the kitchen will do with just the Everyday Pan. Also, I need a mini frying pan. I used to have one from my college days. That one got thrown out when Sis moved in with her mini-pan. It needed to go looooong ago. As a non-nonstick option, I'd love this Calphalon Tri-Ply Everyday pan, because sometimes, you just wanna use metal utencils.

Blender? We have one, and I hate it. It was from Hubby's Navy days, and therfore cheap and old. I really want this Waring Bar Blender. It gets good reviews, and I hear it does well with crushing ice. But since we don't use the blender all the time (perhaps because it sucks?), it's not to high priority.

I already mentioned the chairs, but there are other things to go with the dining room table. I already got a great everyday tablecloth (in blue) and pad, as well as special occasion linens (they're white and came in a set with napkins and the tablepad). But I have no placemats, which are important to protect the table. I'm not sure exactly what I want. I know, however, that I want a sleek and modern feel. I have some silver candlesticks that I want to put on the table that go with the look that I want. I can't decide between cloth (which can be laundered) or something like bamboo, which can sometimes not be modern and sleek. Decisions...

Speaking of bamboo....I am really thinking that a large bamboo blind would be a perfect backdrop behind our bed. I've always wanted to hang some kind of art piece or mirror on the wall behind the bed, but Hubby is freaked out about the possibility of it falling on his head. Debating over the issue - considered painting the wall and hanging fabric - I was inspired by the wooden blinds they have at Ikea. But these ones as Cost Plus I think look better and go with the ethnic look I'm trying to achieve. They're even on sale. Might as well replace the curtains while I'm at it. I think it was these ones I saw in a recent BB&B ad, and I'd love them in gold. Would lighten up the room and block out light and noise.

We also might be losing our coffee table during the move, which is nothing I'm crying about. I never liked it to begin with, and it's not even ours. An old friend of mine has this table from Ikea, and I love it. I don't see her all that much, however, so I don't think she'll mind if I steal her idea. Even Hubby liked it when I showed it to him. And they have baskets that fit in the cubbies that can be used to store DVD's and Xbox games. Would be nice to get those out of sight...

But a little at a time, this all can really add up....

1 comment:

Lys said...

Ahhhh.. I feel your pain... I feel your pain.... Baby steps... buy one small thing.. put something in savings.. buy another small thing - put something in savings... and on, and on, and on...

But - once you get the house the wya you like it - how relaxing is that PLUS you have a nice little savings nest to use for travel, etc.