2/09/2007

SINFUL DESSERTS

The day of love is soon approaching. Since Valentines Day falls on a weekday, and Hubby personally hates the holiday, we don't really go out. Besides, it's usually busy everywhere...hardly romantic. So, we'll be spending the evening in as per usual. But I have a special menu planned.

I'm going to make a Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi. I'll probably serve this with rice cooked in coconut milk (there will be some leftover from making the fish). I haven't decided the veggie, but maybe I'll go with asparagus, green beans, or baby carrots. Asparagus is so pricey these days....not in season. And I even have a bottle of Veuve Cliquot champagne already.

But for dessert...what to do? Hubby's not a fan of cake in general. And I'm not that great at making fancy desserts. And I'd only want enough for just the two of us. But it has to be special. I did the chocolate-dipped strawberries one year. They turned out OK, but strawberries aren't very good this time of year (not in season) and Hubby is not that fond of them. I browsed the Food Network site - they have a section on Valentines Day - but none of the desserts seem like something I could whip up in an evening. Though the Molten Lava Cake sounds delish.

Then I remembered something I read in the paper about this new bakery in the Pike Place Market, called The Confectional. They specialize in cheesecakes. What is more sinful than that? And they even have small versions. So I might have to pick up a couple of them in different flavors. So, my decision is made. Though with so many flavors that sound awesome, it'll be hard to just pick two.

1 comment:

Yvett said...

I wish I could help but I'm not really good with desserts. All my desserts are "cutesy" for the kids. I'd go with the cheesecake.

Rice cooked with coconut milk? I'd never heard of that but it sounds really good. Do you just replace the water or are measurements different.