2/16/2007

CONFESSIONS OF A GROWN*UP GIRLIE - 2/16/07

We are finally out of debt. And it's the first time on a loooooong time.

Sorta. To be more specific, we're out of credit card debt. I think ever since I had a credit card, I owed something on a card at any given time. (Though was pretty good about paying the balances when due on store cards). Hubby wasn't much of a credit card user, thank goodness. But me, well, I did. But I knew enough not to get in trouble. It never really got out of control, even when I was in college.

But today, we got our tax refund after a long 2 week wait. It was agonizing, for sure. We knew it was coming, and just wanted it right away because we knew it was ours. Anyway....today, we paid off Dell for the computer and the balance on our Visa. Turns out it's also time to renew our UW Football season tickets (why do they make it due in March?), so part of our refund will pay for that as well. Good timing! And there's even a little bit left over. Hubby and I talked about it a little, but haven't decided for sure what to do with it. I think we'll split it up a little, a little for his IRA, a little for saving, and a lot for our Vacation Fund.

With those two cards paid off though, it makes me giddy. Now we can take what we would normally put towards those things and put them in our emergency savings, or pay down our Home Equity loan, or pad the Vacation Fund even more. And what is even better is that other than our planned vacation, there are no other large expenditures that we foresee.

It's a relief for sure.

4 comments:

Thushara said...

That's great! Yay! :) Credit card debt is evil (I've been struggling to keep mine minimal but it's hard sometimes to not impulse buy.)

Lola and Her *Mom* said...

Congratulations! Wish we were so lucky...maybe in a year or two! : )

Meredith said...

Yea! Congratulations, that's such a huge achievement. I'm hoping I'll get my credit card debt paid off by September.

Yvett said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That is a huge achievement! My whole way of seeing spending is "if I don't have the cash for it, I can't afford it". So far it's worked for several years. Living credit card debt free is very liberating. I am soooo happy for you!