9/02/2004

THRIFTING IS THE WAY TO GO

It's "Back to School" time, the time of year where you start anew with spanking new clothing. In style, of course. But for those not in school, there is no school to go back to. Does this stop you from buying new clothes? It seems that it's a year-round process. But seeing all the sales and watching all the youngsters going back to school is stirring the "want" to shop in me.

Since I'm pretty low in funds due to this roof project, I think I'll head to the local thrift store to see if I can find anything. Besides, everything that's old (or old-looking) is suddenly so in vogue. Tweeds, houndstooth, and herringbone - all weighty patterns and weaves - are just so in, especially in fall-friendly colors of purples, eggplants, and camel. Just take a look at Coach's Fall collection!

I haven't been to the thrift store to shop in ages. As a child, we rarely went. And I'm not really sure why. I think it's because my mom thought they were overpriced. Garage sales were acceptable, however. In high school though, I went nuts at the thrift store. I remember when I'd go with my best friend and a $20 bill. We'd have a great time trying on clothes, some knowing we wouldn't actually wear but thought it would be fun to try on. After spending a good half-day there, we'd leave with a garbage bag full of clothes and some change to spare (eventually to buy a coffee or taco hell). Then we'd get home, wash everything, and then incorporate with our existing pieces into outfits.

Hopefully, I'll get lucky. I'm on the lookout for jackets - tweed or otherwise, coats (I am still an addict), scarves, maybe some interesting objects - like dishes and glassware, and vintage jewelry. Surely I'll be checking out the purses. I'll look at the shoes, but they really have to be in good shape if I buy them. Same with hats.

I'm already looking forward to it.

UPDATE: For some reason, by the time I got to the thrift store, I just wasn't in the thrifting mood. Must have been the muggy feeling and strange smell. I did look at the jackets however, and found a great cream jacket with fuchsia and purple checks. It'll be so great for fall. And to bring it into high style, I already have a great *authentically vintage* flower pin - in fuchsia and purple. A perfect match! It still needs to be dry cleaned. If I'm ambitious, I might just buy some matching grosgrain ribbon and outline the lapels. we'll see.

1 comment:

Thushara said...

I love thrift stores! If you look hard enough, you can find lotsa nice stuff. :)