7/07/2004

CONFESSION OF A GROWN*UP GIRLIE

Confession 7/7: This Grown*Up Girlie needs glasses. Correction. This Grown*Up Girlie needs to wear her glasses she already owns.

Sure, when I got them [three years ago] they were trendy and geeky-chic. Now, they look terrible and soooo unsophisticated. At that time I actually got two pairs, one with a no-rim bottom w/ detachable sunglass-type thing and the geek chic glasses. My dog, a puppy at the time, chewed on the sunglass-type attachment but they still work, so those glasses are ok.

What prompted me to reconsider my glasses? I hate to admit, but yesterday I was driving on the freeway w/ Hubby (and mind you I'm driving the MANLY BIG TRUCK because Mom's borrowing my car and Hubby has a work van) and we're driving by some construction and I didn't see the construction worker standing among the cones. Albeit, he was practically in the road and I tend to drive close to the right line, but still I didn't see him. I joked that I thought he was a cone. But, then I realized, I'm going blind! UPDATE: I didn't hit the guy, just got a little close for his comfort. Hubby said he put his arms like in a "hey, not so close" fashion. I didn't see that either.

And it's not that I don't have insurance or anything, I do! I just never got in the habit of wearing the things. At the time, the eye doctor said that I might not even want to wear them because things will be too clear. I guess I'm one of those people. Is it that I just didn't like wearing them period?

But then another thing is sending me back to the eye doctor, a thing that I didn't think about at the time. I almost failed the eye exam at the Department of Licensing to get my Driver's License renewed. I was this close to having a Corrective Lens restriction put on my license. I was only off by one letter, and I figured out what it was. But, I'm pretty sure that by the time I renew again, I'll be needing the glasses for driving. Damn.

After scolding from Hubby about lack of glasses wearing, we drove by the new eye clinic they built by our neighborhood. They were closed, but I looked in their display and they carry Coach eyewear. I didn't know they made glasses! That's so great! So I'm pretty excited about the idea of glasses now. But when I got home, I sheepishly slipped my old glasses into my purse...

2 comments:

wyn said...

lol. i'm still kinda wanting to do the geek-chic thing as someone who's never needed glasses but wants to look *intelligent* at times when i don't want people to question me. but with laser surgery and contacts, i guess less people will don their geek chic glasses. safety is the most important thing!

Michelle said...

Now that I think about it, perhaps the geeky-chic glasses are more geek than chic. Oh well, gotta have a backup pair...